By Victoria Fromkin
AN advent TO LANGUAGE is perfect to be used in any respect degrees and in lots of diversified components of guideline together with schooling, languages, psychology, anthropology, educating English as a moment Language (TESL), and linguistics. All chapters during this best-seller were considerably revised to mirror contemporary discoveries and new realizing of linguistics and languages.
Read or Download An Introduction to Language (7th edition) PDF
Best linguistics books
This ebook was once initially released sooner than 1923, and represents a duplicate of a massive historic paintings, retaining an identical layout because the unique paintings. whereas a few publishers have opted to follow OCR (optical personality reputation) know-how to the method, we think this results in sub-optimal effects (frequent typographical error, unusual characters and complicated formatting) and doesn't thoroughly defend the old personality of the unique artifact.
- Einfuhrung on die romishe metrik
- A Vietnamese Reference Grammar [incomplete]
- A History of the English Language
- Towards Otherland: Languages of Science and Languages Beyond
- A grammar of Dime (Omotic)
Additional resources for An Introduction to Language (7th edition)
Evidence is provided by pronouns in English and Polish. Pronouns in these languages are simi- 27 28 Explaining language structure lar in that they code the features gender (for the third-person singular), number, and person, but they actually belong to diﬀerent subdomains within the domain of reference. Pronouns in English code coreference when preceded by an antecedent having the same person, gender and number, while pronouns in Polish code switch reference with respect to the antecedent. Consider the third-person singular masculine pronoun in English: 1_1_0 <74 A> [@:] he ^should have had his .
2. Agreement and government do not exist, but disagreement and insubordination are not tolerated The general principle proposed in the present section is that while there is no agreement and no government in the sense that one form triggers changes on another form, disagreement is not allowed. If two constituents A and B are part of the same construction and there is a feature X coded on the form A, the form B cannot code feature Y if features X and Y both belong to the same domain. Consider a language in which nouns, verbs and adjectives code number, either singular or plural.
In Mupun, a West Chadic language, the ‘deﬁnite’ marker codes previous mention. A noun that has been previously mentioned in discourse may be 3 32 Explaining language structure coded by a deﬁnite marker regardless of whether the noun is an ordinary noun, a proper name, or a toponym. However, a single function may be coded by more than one means provided these means occur in diﬀerent constructions. In fact, this is the very basis of systems interaction. For example, in Chapter 10 (locative predication) we show that in Mina (Central Chadic), if the locative function in a given construction is not coded by lexical means it is coded by grammatical means, which include a locative predicator for predicates and locative prepositions for nouns.