By Peter Smith
This accomplished and succinct encyclopedia lines the origins and improvement of the BahNB'! religion from nineteenth-century Iran to the trendy day, masking its critical figures and significant old occasions.
Read or Download A Concise Encyclopedia of the Baha'i Faith (Concise Encyclopedia of World Faiths) PDF
Similar other religions books
One of the Tuareg humans within the Air Mountain quarter of Niger, girls are often possessed through spirits known as 'the humans of solitude'. The night curing rituals of the possessed, that includes drumming and music, happen sooner than an viewers of younger women and men, who comic story and flirt because the ritual unfolds.
During this magnificent booklet, Frank Fools Crow, ceremonial leader of the Teton Sioux and one of many maximum local American holy people, explains traditions and practices that deliver non secular energy to bland lives. Mails says of his topic: "No different eminent holy individual has ever, or even may perhaps ever, so evidently have published how he knew what he knew and the way he did the issues he did".
"Abrahamic faith" has lengthy been a buzzword in ecumenical discourse. it's the proposal that Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, regardless of their profound adjustments, are united of their reverence for Abraham—not simply because the progenitor of Israel, yet as a common father within the religion. Abraham's Ashes bargains a forceful critique of the biblical and Qur'anic perspectives of Abraham, exhibiting how on the middle of all prophetic religions lies an untenable fable of suprarational magical pondering "revelation.
In 1939, a tender Vilém Flusser confronted the Nazi invasion of his fatherland of Prague. He escaped along with his spouse to Brazil, taking with him merely books: a small Jewish prayer e-book and Goethe’s Faust. Twenty-six years later, in 1965, Flusser might post The heritage of the satan, and it's the essence of these books that haunts his personal.
- Thinking with Demons: The Idea of Witchcraft in Early Modern Europe
- Spirit and Reason: The Vine Deloria, Jr. Reader
- Divine Action and Modern Science
- The History of the Devil and the Idea of Evil: From the Earliest Times to the Present Day (Open Court paperback)
- Inside the Brotherhood: Explosive Secrets of the Freemasons
- Kama Sutra of Vatsayayana
Extra resources for A Concise Encyclopedia of the Baha'i Faith (Concise Encyclopedia of World Faiths)
2) His primary OF GOD,empowered to abrogate Islamic role and the major source of his greatholy law and replace it with his own ness was his rank as a self-sufficient (thus deviating radically from Shi'i Manifestation of God. In this role, expectations of the role of the Mahdi). Bahi'u'llih described him as one whose He also referred to himself as the 'Primal rank excelled that of all previous proPoint' (nuqti-yi-tila') from which all phets. (3) As forerunner, he was allied things have been created, and foretold with Bahi'u'llih (though subordinate in the coming of a further messianic figure, rank), and with him presided over the HE WHOM GODSHALL MAKE MANIFEST - destinies of the Bahi'i 'Dispensation'.
Ayyam-;-Ha (PA, 'the days of Ha") Intercalary days introduced into the Badi' CALENDAR (of 1 9 x 19 months (=361 days)), to make it equivalent to a solar year. In ordinary years there are four days, and in leap years five (the Arabic letter Hd has a numerical equivalent of 5). Bahi'u'llih specified that these days occur immediately before the month of FASTING. They should be a period of celebration, charity, hospitality and gift giving. 178-9 n27-9; Walbridge, Sacred 2 16. Azal, Subh-i(PA, 'Morn of Eternity') Religious title of Mirzi Yahyb (1831121912), son of Mitzi 'ABBASby Kiichik Khinum, one of his concubines (see N u ~ FAMILY).
Then, after the death of Muhammad Shih (September 1848), an armed struggle broke out at TABARS~, in which government troops eventually extirpated the Bibi combatants. Other conflicts ensued in 1850, convincing the new chief minister, Mitzi Taqi Khin, AMiR KAB~R, that the whole Bibi movement was a threat to public order, which could best be ended by depriving it of its central focus. Accordingly, the Bib was brought again to Tabriz, and executed in public by a firing squad on 27/28 Sha'bin 126618-9 July 1850.