By Peter Brown
A better half to Medieval English Literature and tradition, c.1350-c.1500 demanding situations readers to imagine past a narrowly outlined canon and standard disciplinary limitations.
A ground-breaking choice of newly-commissioned essays on medieval literature and culture.
- Encourages scholars to imagine past a narrowly outlined canon and traditional disciplinary boundaries.
- Reflects the erosion of the conventional, inflexible boundary among medieval and early smooth literature.
- Stresses the significance of making contexts for analyzing literature.
- Explores the level to which medieval literature is in discussion with different cultural items, together with the literature of alternative international locations, manuscripts and religion.
- Includes shut readings of frequently-studied texts, together with texts through Chaucer, Langland, the Gawain poet, and Hoccleve.
- Confronts many of the controversies that workout scholars of medieval literature, similar to these hooked up with literary thought, love, and chivalry and war.
Read Online or Download A Companion To Medieval English Literature And Culture PDF
Best english literature books
Among the period of America's landmark antebellum compromises and that of the Compromise of 1877, a struggle had intervened, destroying the integrity of the Southern approach yet failing to figure out the hot South's relation to the Union. whereas it didn't restoration the outdated order within the South, or repair the South to parity with the Union, it did lay down the political foundations for reunion, convey Reconstruction to an finish, and form the way forward for 4 million freedmen.
Kipling's Imperial Boy opens by means of analyzing the importance of boyhood within the evolution of ecu modernity. the 1st bankruptcy indicates how heavily the determine of the adolescent (the "boy") is linked to questions of imperial enlargement and consolidation. The chapters that stick with soak up Rudyard Kipling's fiction of the imperial boy, emphasizing the innovative hyperlink among early life and cultural hybridity and providing targeted readings of The Jungle e-book, Stalky & Co.
The historical past of nutrients is among the quickest starting to be parts of old research, incorporating tools and theories from cultural, social, and women’s historical past whereas forging a different standpoint at the prior. The Routledge background of foodstuff takes a world method of this subject, concentrating on the interval from 1500 to the current day.
This examine makes a speciality of Louis MacNeice's artistic and demanding engagement with different Irish poets in the course of his lifetime. It attracts on broad archival examine to discover the formerly unrecognized quantity of the poet's touch with Irish literary mores and networks. Poetic dialogues with contemporaries together with F.
- Alternative Indias: Writing, Nation and Communalism (Cross/Cultures 82)
- Understanding Julian Barnes (Understanding Contemporary British Literature)
- Shakespeare and the Question of Theory
- Kipling Considered
- From Fatwa to Jihad: The Rushdie Affair and Its Aftermath
Additional info for A Companion To Medieval English Literature And Culture
The Wars of the Roses, Caxton and Malory – subjects that loom large in traditional accounts of the period – play a negligible role in this volume. Rather, the essayists direct our attention to the smaller, local dramas that occupied many and various segments of the population. (Hanawalt and Wallace 1996: x) Indeed, although the majority of the contributors to Bodies and Disciplines are afﬁliated with programmes in English literary studies, the essays focus primarily on facets of local, institutional and corporeal history.
Studies in the Harley Manuscript. : Medieval Institute Publications for TEAMS. Sixteen essays that examine the scribes, contents, social contexts and languages of MS Harley 2253. Green, Richard Firth 1999. A Crisis of Truth: Literature and Law in Ricardian England. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press. A history of the use of the word trouthe in literary and legal documents as it reﬂects the transition from oral to written culture. ) 2000. Robin Hood in Popular Culture. Cambridge: Brewer.
In this perspective, works of medieval literature come to be seen as social interventions in which the power relations of their time are reinforced or challenged. Literary critics thus ask whether any particular piece of imaginative literature buttresses the contemporary social hierarchy through its reproduction of the dominant ideology of the day, or whether it provides a dissident or questioning voice which challenges orthodox views about class, status and gender inequalities (Rigby 1996). This approach to literature has much to recommend it but one problem is that medieval historians themselves are by no means agreed among themselves as to the nature of English society in the later Middle Ages.